Student support

Who can I go to for general advice when I’m a student?

Who can advise me about money?

Who can advise me about visas?

Who can advise me about health issues?

Who can help support my mental health issues?

Who can help me with

Who can help me with spiritual issues?

Who can help me with legal issues?

I have a disability and have specific requirements regarding accommodation, classes or studying – who can help me organise this?

I live outside of St Andrews, is there any specific support for me?

I am a student with children, is there any support or childcare available?

I am a mature student with questions about returning to University; who should I ask?

I am concerned about my child moving so far away from home, who can allay my fears?

Who will support me overnight in University accommodation?

As a parent, who can I ring when I am concerned about my child?

— There is likely to be significant crossover here with the content for current students. When creating this page, we should be careful to ensure we are writing to a prospective student and their family to showcase the support that is available. Explaining how to access that support should be within the Current students section. However, we should ensure that contact details (specifically for concerned parents) are visible, as parents will not be able to access the current students section.


Current content

Advice and Support Centre (ASC)

Coming to university is an exciting time, but also a challenging one. During your years at the University of St Andrews there may be times when you need some help and advice. The University offers an extensive range of support to ensure that, on both an academic and a personal level, your experience as a student is successful and fulfilling.

The Advice and Support Centre (ASC), located on 79 North Street, is your first port of call for any queries or enquiries you may have. Staff will answer your query, organise administration for you, and refer you to advisers for further support, advice, and counselling.

The service is made up of a team of advisers and administrators who are there to assist you on any issue from paying a bill or choosing your modules to health concerns and immigration problems.


The University provides a free, professional and confidential counselling service for all its students. Counselling gives you the opportunity to talk in confidence to someone who has no other role in your life (someone who is not a tutor, friend or relative). It is the chance to talk to someone who will not judge you, criticise you or be shocked by whatever you have to say.

Counsellors will work flexibly with you to help you develop a clearer understanding of your situation, help you recognise your feelings, and discuss and agree strategies to help with the difficulties you are experiencing.


The University of St Andrews’ Chaplaincy is a source of support for many students of any faith or philosophy. The Chaplain can usually be found in the building called Mansefield in St Mary’s Place on weekdays.

Mansefield is also used by many student societies, for meetings, events, meals, prayer and meditation.

The Chaplain offers support and encouragement, as well as an opportunity to talk through personal and academic problems on a confidential basis. Some students explore personal growth and spiritual development, while others discuss issues with no reference to faith. You are welcome, regardless of faith or philosophy.

Students with disabilities

The University of St Andrews is committed to helping people realise their academic potential and this commitment extends to students with disabilities, long term medical conditions or learning difficulties.

If you have a disability, it will not stand in the way of your being offered a chance to study here in St Andrews. It is our policy to assess applications from all students on strictly academic grounds.

The University has students with a wide range of disabilities and learning difficulties. We welcome the opportunity to work with these students to meet their individual requirements.

Within the University’s Student Services team, there are two disability advisers and a specific learning difficulties co-ordinator. They can be contacted at any stage of the application process for information, advice or support by emailing Applicants are encouraged to make their needs known on their application form and/or at interview, so that the University can best respond in terms of appropriate support and advice.

A visit to the University is strongly recommended. Personal visits and telephone enquiries are welcomed.

Commuter students

If you plan to commute into the University or live out of town, there is support in place to help you to find your feet, make friends, and reach your full academic potential.

Townsend Society

Commuter students have a dedicated student society, the Townsend Society. If you are a commuter student you will be invited to join.

The society meets early in Orientation at the beginning of the year. It hosts social and sporting occasions throughout the year for students and their families. The Townsend Society also has its own Facebook group to help commuter students to stay in touch with one another.

The Townsend Society is a fantastic opportunity for you to meet other commuter students, make friends, and enjoy a full and vivid social life during your time in St Andrews. To contact the Townsend Society, please email

Common room

As a commuter student, you will be welcome to relax and socialise in a dedicated common room at 79 North Street. The common room features a lounge area, amenities and a kitchen, and is reserved for students commuting from out of town.

Academic flexibility

There is also a small amount of academic flexibility in place for commuter students. You should be permitted to submit your work to tutors remotely via email rather than in person if you are commuting from out of town. You should contact your School’s secretary directly to discuss this, but if there is any confusion, please contact the Advice and Support Centre.

Mature students

Deciding to return to education after a break can be both exciting and daunting. The University considers you a mature (or independent) student if you have been out of full-time education for more than three years prior to your application. There are a large number of potential entry routes for mature students, and we recommend that you contact the Access team by emailing on if you are a mature student thinking of applying to the University.